Monday, May 12, 2014

YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush Lips & Cheeks

You asked what Pamela Morgan used on my cheeks (and lips) Saturday: YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush Lips & Cheeks ($40). It's available in 23 shades, but Pam knew exactly what she wanted when she reached for two colors. I purchased both: #9 for the apples of my cheeks and my lips and #12, which she described as the perfect contour shade for just about everyone. The advantage? Buy both and you get two lip colors, one cheek color, and one cheek contour shade.

Rouge Epicurien (#9) is the baby doll pink shown at left immediately above. Mocha Garçonne (#12) is shown at right.

Take a close look at my cheeks, and you can see her magic. She used #12 to contour my cheekbones and added a touch at my temples and jaw line. Pamela has a unique way of applying these colors with the funky applicators. YSL recommends that you dot them onto your cheeks (three dots and then blend). Pamela said that's the best way she knows to mess up the lovely foundation you've already applied. She takes a fluffy blush brush, runs it across the applicator, and lightly sweeps the color in place. Voila! Perfect color without losing foundation (or in my case, the All-in-One BB cream she had applied). Her technique is masterful.

Yves Saint Laurent’s air-whipped mousse formula highlights the lips and cheeks with a sensual, soft matte finish. While I was originally skeptical that the formula might be drying on the lips (due to a former, drying stain YSL had introduced last year), this is an entirely different product. I found it hydrating on my lips and the perfect base for a lip gloss.

I took swatch photos of the two shades in late-afternoon sunshine. I applied them to my arm with their funky little applicator. I placed #9 at the top of my arm, with #12 below.

The #12 shade that Pam uses as a contour shade on nearly everyone is a rose-toned brown. It's fabulous, with a natural appearance that's very sheer. I applied my swatches fairly heavily. When Pam first pulled out #9, I gave it the evil eye, thinking it was too pink. It wasn't, as you can see in my photo. It was the finishing touch on the apples of the cheekbones that she had carefully sculpted with #12. The result was extremely pleasing.

I'm sold. These two-for products are new favorites. Later this week, I'll show you the Gloss Volupté we chose together to top #6 on my lips.

The YSL Baby Doll Kiss & Blush Lips & Cheeks shades have been available long enough that they are available at all YSL counters and online sources. Now I have my eyes on another one or two.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Bella said...

Wow you look fabulous! Off to check them out at nordies!

Anonymous said...

#9 is gorgeous!!!

Grlnxdor said...

I love that you can use these on both lips and cheeks. You look so lovely in all of these photos, Charlestongirl! So happy, too that you shared Pam's tip for not messing up your foundation. Definitely need to try this product and the application technique.

Anonymous said...

You look great! I shop online only,
so I will try to view more images
& comments re products.
Also, while you were @ NM did you
go on a walkabout - like to Jo Malone counter? I was wondering about this year's limited edition fragrance. I bought last year's Osmanthus (big size even) on your recommendation. Wasn't sure at first, but now I love it & it's almost empty. Glad to see you're in better spirits. Well wishes to your Mother.

Kiss & Make-up said...

You look lovely! I'll need to take a closer look at these products it seems :-)

Eileen said...

Those are gorgeous! They're currently online at Nordstrom and today (5/13) only, Ebates is listing 15% cash back . That bonus and your lovely pictures are pretty good incentives to try one of these Baby Doll products. Thanks for including Pamela's application tip. I always apply my Armani Fluid Sheers with a brush and sort of assumed I'd do the same with these, but knowing a bonafide YSL makeup artist is saying to do it that way seals the deal. I had been admiring Pink Hedonist so today's Ebates offer was all the push I needed :-)

Anonymous said...

I already purchased Shade #2! I, very rarely, buy more than one color in any product line but many of these shades are so wearable!

I can see myself buying many more of these, including #12 and #9!

Nuts4dogs said...

Love your daily updates especially when it's on Guerlain. Maybe you've already answered this but what do you do with all the "stuff" you buy? There's absolutely no way you can use it all up or is it just a fun hobby to collect. Sorry to be so nosey but I do love your blog. Kindest regards, Nuts4dogs

Chateepatee said...

So glad you give the Babydoll Kiss & Blush a thumbs up! I've had mine since Valentines Day YSL promo and think they are great. I was really displeased with YSL's Rouge Pur Couture line of lippies so I think they made up for it with this!
On me the cheek wear time is only about 4 hours, so I'm not tempted to use it for contouring- but the finish on my lips is so very nice!
You look beautiful in your photos CG. The MUA may have been very talented, but her model was perfection plus to start with!
Best to your Mother.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

You look gorgeous! And just look at those cheekbones...I love that they have glow but not from shimmer. So pretty!

Lisa said...

Your makeover is lovely. I am so suprised at your positive review. I saw these at the counter swiped a few on my hand an was shocked at the harshness of the shades and gave them a hard pass. That just goes to show you why you need to schedule a makeover for mew launches to give them a fair shake!!

Unknown said...

These look like perfection on you! Pamela did a beautiful application with these little goodies. I may have to try them. Both are very nice. You look stunning!

Meredith said...

I bought shades 2 & 3 and I'm really pleased with both. I brought them to Maui and they were wonderful in the heat and humidity. Stayed in place and didn't fade or look greasy. I find these work just fine on my lips which surprised me. This is a good formula.

Bonnie C. said...

Beautiful cheeks, and beautiful YOU!!