Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tom Ford Summer 2013 Beauty Collection Illuminating Cheek Colors in Blush Guilt and Bronzed Amber - Up Close and Personal

When I tried Tom Ford's new Illuminating Cheek Colors ($58) in Blush Guilt and Bronzed Amber at Neiman Marcus, I was thrilled with both of them. After that, there was no question. I had to have both of them. I'm excited to continue my series of swatch photo features taken at my house immediately after applying items from this beautiful collection.I purchased mine from Dustin Lujan at the John Barrett Salon in New York City.

These generously sized cheek "sticks" apply very sheerly, and you can build the color seamlessly. From photos of the tube, those with pale faces might believe that Bronzed Amber, shown at right above, would be too dark. No way! It's so sheer I had to paint it on heavily for my swatch photos. You'll see light and dark applications below. Blush Guilt (shown at left) provides a natural, radiant glow in a shade that's going to send pale faces rushing to buy. Both shades offer a beautiful sheen.

I took my swatch photos in full, mid-day sunshine. I swatched both shades straight from the tube, which is how it came to be that one of my swatches, Bronzed Amber, is very large. I kept painting, gradually widening out the swatch because I was so impressed with the control it offers for coverage.

Let's start with the ultra-sheer Blush Guilt (#01). I applied it extremely heavily for these photos, rolling the color stick over and over the swatch.

I can't believe how perfect it is. The transparency, sheen, and shade combine to add an extraordinary glow to the skin. As you can see, the color is a golden peachy pink. I suspect your own cheek pigmentation will affect how it looks on you. Consider that my arm is a fairly blank canvass.

On my cheeks, it's definitely warm, appearing like the sun kissed my cheeks. I can wear it as a blush too, not just for its glow.

Turning to Bronzed Amber, I applied it heavily at the top of my arm, making my swatch larger and larger as I played with its sheer finish. Can you see the gradations in color in my photo above? Darker at the top, lighter at the bottom. Because I feared I went overboard in the application of Bronzed Amber, I applied a smaller, lighter swatch at the bottom on my arm. I hope you can see that the color is a perfect golden bronze without a trace of muddiness. Anyone who has had trouble finding the perfect bronzing shade in the past should take a serious look at Bronzed Amber.

The cream formula of the Illuminating Cheek Colors makes them glide on with ease straight from the tube. There are many moisturizing ingredients in them. You could apply them from the tube, but I'd recommend a cream blush brush or Armani's Blender Brush. Run the brush over the stick in the tube and apply to your face, layering the sheer color until you achieve the effect you like. You can use your fingers if you prefer; that will make it easy to reapply these colors when you are on the go. I know many of you will be delighted that they carry no discernible scent.

I'm almost giddy with excitement over these new summer products. I will be using them year-round. I hope that Tom Ford hears my message and develops a full line of colors. These Illuminating Cheek Sticks are magnificent.

If you plan to order and need help, please give Dustin Lujan a call. You can tell I'm promoting his new Tom Ford full-service practice at the John Barrett Salon. He will help you pick out the best colors for your complexion, based on his incredible eye as a makeup artist. You can reach him at (212) 872-2714.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't this just fabulous~ I completely agree CG. I think this is clearly a wildly popular collection which appeals due to its color cohesion and simplicity. I can definitely see myself wearing this collection all summer and beyond. I'm going to look gooooood :) Thank you Tom Ford!!

Zeynep said...

I'm now positive that ordering Blushed Guilt and Pink Lust was the right move. I can't wait until it ships! Also, in my comment from yesterday, I mistakenly wrote that I was holding off on Pink Lust when I meant the Fire Lust Illuminator. Thanks again for showing these beauties to us!

Nemo said...

Wow! Of all the summer collections so far, this is the stunner. Moreover, I am thrilled that Dustin Lujan is the magic man now for TF at John Barrett. You can't lose with Dustin. Meanwhile, Cg, did you do a swatch of Pink Haze eye shadow? If so, I missed it. Are you getting both shadows? What about the Fire Lust Illuminator? Oh, and by the way, I couldn't agree more about Saks. That store seems to be plummeting.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Wwnedalynne,

This is the first time I've been seriously over the moon about a TF collection.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Zeynep,

You will want that fluid illuminator as soon as you see more swatches. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Ni Nemo,

Isn't it wonderful having Dustin at JB AND representing Tom Ford? What a perfect partnership!

I do not buy Pink Haze. I might when I get to see it in person, but I've spent a lot. I hope to pick up Fire Lust at NM tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I am getting Bronzed Amber after seeing this!

How do you think Guilt would look on those with Medium-Tan skin?

Midwestern Mama said...

Thank you for posting! And for sharing Dustin. I just spoke with him and placed an order. Not only is he lovely, but also a fantastic color guide. I'm so excited to be receiving the Pink Lust, gold eye color, blush guilt and fire illuminator!

Eileen said...

Oh, Charlestongirl! Your prophecy came true :-) I did buy both Blush Guilt and Bronze Amber---and Fire Lust! These are going to be fantastic throughout the year. A bit of Blush Guilt on top of the cheekbone and a bit of Bronze Amber below, then lightly blend. Wow! It's like a warm sunset version of Shade and Illuminate. As for Fire Lust, that packs enough color to easily be worn alone as a blush or mixed with foundation or moisturizer and applied any place a bit of glow is desired. If a collection had been designed for me personally, it couldn't please me more than TF's summer one. The only new item I didn't get was the nail lacquer because white polishes don't suit me.

Jenny said...

FYI, this is also available now at nm.com. I bought the entire collection minus the nail polish. Slated to arrive on Saturday. Cannot wait!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous 12:52,

I'm not sure. The color might disappear, but the glow won't.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Midwestern Mama!

I'm so glad you got to experience working with my buddy. He is simply fabulous.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

Why am I not surprised? :)

I don't plan to buy the nail lacquer either. I heard NM wasn't even getting it, which I found beyond odd. Maybe just mine?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jenny,

The day it arrives, you will be one happy person.

Anonymous said...

Tank you so much for the swatches! Could you please tell me the difference in pigment and color between the pink guilt blush and the fire lust illuminator? Is there enough of a difference to have both? Also, how much shimmer shows on the face with the blushes? Thanks

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mischief,

The difference is interesting. As I recall from seeing Fire Lust last weekend - Fire Lust is the one I hope to receive tomorrow - they are similar. However, I recall differences my camera didn't pick up last weekend. Give me a day, if you can, to answer.

The Cheek Illuminators leave a sheen with little shimmer.

Jo said...

OMG CG, the illuminator is already sold out on NM.com! I just went there to order Guilt because I decided I need both it and the illuminator. I'm still waiting (impatiently) for my Saks order with the rest of my goodies.

Charlestongirl said...

Call Dustin, Jo!

Jo said...

No worries here CG, I have the illuminator coming to me from Saks, just wish it would get here already! Just thought I'd let everyone know if they are procrastinating about getting the illuminator that they better hurry up and decide. It will be gone before you know it!

bisbee said...

Now you're talking CG! I think I will be ordering that Blush Guilt! Think I'll wait a bit to see if you have anything else up your sleeve that I have to order from this collection! Neither of the cream shadows did a thing for me...and that lip gloss isn't for me either. Waiting to see the illuminator...

Mamavalveeta03 said...

These look like NARS Multiple sticks...only BETTER!! I love the sheerness of them and the luminosity. I sometimes feel that I'm getting too much sheen from NARS. These seem perfect!