Thursday, April 11, 2013

M·A·C Extra Dimension Blush

I thought M·A·C's limited-edition Extra Dimension Blush ($25) had so much potential. The shades looked pretty, and the description enticed me.

About the collection...
Extra Dimension Skinfinish, Blush, and Eye Shadow feature our unique liquid-powder hybrid formula, delivering high-resolution color and prismatic reflections in versatile finishes with up to six hours of color coverage. It's polished perfection.

About these blushes...
A liquid-powder blush with prismatic reflections in five shimmering shades. Impact ranges from sheer crystallized light to a highly polished metallic effect.

I ordered Bareness and At Dusk online. At $25, I wasn't taking a huge risk, but I was expecting something new to love. I don't love them.

Bareness is shown at top left. It is described as a rosy beige. At Dusk, shown at right, is described as a mid-tone rose. Sounded like safe bet for my pale skin.

I took swatch photos in full sun. I used a sponge-tipped applicator, and swatched extremely heavily, building the color to the max. Unfortunately, what you see in my swatch photos is the most color I could get out of these two blushes - even after applying them unnaturally heavily.

Bareness is shown at the top of my arm. It's light beige with just a hint of rose. At Dusk is pink - maybe rose pink if you stretch - but light. Both of these shades look dramatically lighter on my face than they do in these swatch photos.

If you are interested in creating that barely there blush look that was seen on many runways this spring, these are your colors. If not, I doubt anyone other than M·A·C collectors will find them to be must-haves.

The colors are pretty - I have to admit that - and very sheer. I guess I can use them as finishing powders. They offer little color impact on the cheeks. Perhaps that's good? I prefer a blush with more pigmentation, giving me the option to sweep it on lightly for a light cheek or to build the color for a bit more of a punch. My photos show M·A·C's Extra Dimension Blush (in these two shades) built to the max.

You can purchase them at M·A·C online and, I'm sure, at M·A·C counters everywhere. It's interesting to me that the darker colors sold out quickly. Those buyers knew something I didn't.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Claire said...

At first I thought, wow, these blushes are nicely pigmented. Then I re-read that it is applied heavily with sponge applicator, yikes! Do you find the liquid-powder formula the same as Estee Lauder's gel-compact blush/bronzer? I'm intrigued certainly, but this is something I'd try in person before purchasing. Thanks for the post!

Virginie said...

Very sheer indeed....

Christina said...

Hi Charleston Girl! You'll have to brush away the waxy to layer to get the color to show up more!

grlnxdor said...

Since I've only been purchasing dept. store cosmetics for a couple years now I really rely on reviews. I'm "late to the party" as far as MAC is concerned. It seems like for every great product they release there is always a clunker--or something that requires extra effort to apply or just simply isn't that good. And I really hate they they are constantly releasing collections. About the time I decide I want something it's sold out. Thank you, Charlestongirl, for helping all of us to make the most of our beauty budgets with your timely and excellent reviews.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Claire,

Nooooo...different entirely from EL's fabulous formula.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

Musings of a Muse agrees.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Christina,

Good thought, but I did. Still duds.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, girlnxdor,

I try. You know I hate writing negative features.

BooBooNinja said...

What disappointments! On the bright side, with these going back (they *are* going back, right?), you'll have more room for products worthy to be in your collection.

CGirl said...

I may actually get Bareness. I like a really light blush, so this works for me (I'm in a very small minority, I know). I may wait and see if they come to a CCO though.

Bonnie C. said...

I agree with CGirl in that I like a lighter blush, more natural, on my cheeks, however, I would expect more from a brand like MAC. If you are going to go through the expense of getting a nice brand it would be better to have good pigmentation and then have the option of applying lightly or heavily, to be sure the liquid/powder formulation sounds cool, but from what I've heard from you it sounds like EL was more successful with their version. Can you return them? I know you don't usually like to do that kind of thing, but it does sound like you are truly unhappy and did not get what you expected. Thanks for warning everyone! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

No, BooBoo, they are not going back. Too much trouble. They will stay here, and I will figure out how to use them to good effect. Or I will share with a friend.

Charlestongirl said...

Well, CGirl, there you go. For every new thing that doesn't work for some of us, there are others who love it. I'm glad, actually.

Charlestongirl said...

I could return them, Bonnie, but I won't. Perhaps they will end up in a box for you. With your light skin, they would look good. :)

Anonymous said...

Just as another take on these two blushes: Being of light neutral skintones, I purchased both of these blushes and I love them. I view these as the type of blush that isn't going to set your pants on fire, but perfect for when you want a barely there blush..perhaps while wearing a heavier eye or brighter lip for example. I use a variety of blush brushes depending on formula. In this case, I use the MAC 128 brush which is a duo fibre brush. It allows me to pick up generous product and use the other side to diffuse the application. I'm really happy I have both of these and feel they complement my skintones in a very natural way.

Lara said...

On the one hand it seems like it'd be nice to have an everyday blush that's fairy subte. But then on the other hand, considering the price and the pigmentation, pretty sure there are cheaper highstreet alternatives out there.