Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Le Volume de Chanel Mascara - New Shades

I took this photo of a photo of Chanel's Le Volume de Chanel at Saks when I did my indoor speed snapping with the training materials for the spring and summer collections. Originally, Le Volume de Chanel ($30) was introduced in one shade: Noir. Now, it's available in Bleu and Prune, designed to add captivating color to your eyes.

The high-precision mascara achieves instant volume and intensely lush color in a single stroke. Its innovative formula expands, plumping lashes to their fullest. The exclusive new Snowflakes brush combines long and short bristles to deliver an extreme, eye-opening effect. I've been quite taken with Le Volume de Chanel in Noir. It glams up my look.

Last weekend, I took swatch photos of both new shades. I had the incredible luck of fun sun, so I gave it a try. Swatching mascara shades isn't particularly easy - or me at least. I have to paint many coats of the mascara to get enough color onto a flat surface (my arm). Mascara brushes were not designed for that.

It's pretty easy to identify Bleu at the top of my arm, with Prune below. Both shades seem to be hot right now. Bleu is a medium, indigo blue. Prune is a dark, burgundy red to my eyes.

Combined with dark lashes, both shades provide a tint when used alone. I prefer to use them as an overcoat, applied over black mascara.

Even though the two new shades shipped in February, they arrived at Saks only recently. I can never figure out "who gets what when."

You can find the new Le Volume de Chanel shades at Saks Fifth Avenue and Nordstrom online. I did not do a comprehensive search, but did not see them on Chanel's Web site. What do you think? Would you use one of these? Which one?

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Z said...

I think I would like to try the blue for fun. I have Le Metier de Beaute mascara in a dark purple, but I feel like you can only see the color in bright light. I've been using the Inimitable Intense mascara (which I love), so hopefully I will like Le Volume brush and formula.

VancouverChic said...

The Chanel Volume mascara is my all time favorite mascara. I will be trying the blue one as I would imagine it will dry to a navy blue color ... so with green eyes ... the lilac collection by Bobbi Brown - could be a serious WOW moment! lol

Warm Regards,
Joanne

Melanie said...

Hi CG,

We got the colours in Canada when it launched. I have been wearing Bleu since and simply adore it. It is brighter than a usual navy, for which I am quite glad. Navy mascara seems useless to me. I wear it alone. The formula of this mascara is incredible, too. It curls my short lashes and holds all day. I think that Chanel knocked it out of the park with this one!

angusmum1 said...

At first glance I am transported to my teen years with blue mascara!! I have a photo taken outside at high school and my lashes are super bright blue, funny. I think it would be fun to try it as you said layered over a black shade. On its own could be too much. My son would say Mum, no offence you look younger than you are but that is for people in their 20's, not 40's. Its actually kind of funny as he takes some interest in what I wear, probably because he knows I love it!! As a little boy he begged to wear it. I allow him to express his opinion as long as it is the right time/place and with respect. I sometimes ask him and its interesting what he comes up with.

Anonymous said...

I adore Prune and am about to pick up my second tube! The blue is simply gorgeous also, and well worth having - this is by far the best mascara CHANEL has ever created!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Z,

The blue is the one I would select - only because I have my new dark red RBR and the older LMdB in that dark red/aubergine shade. I'm really interested in the aqua one for summer. THAT will be a must-try.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joanne,

It looks pretty dark on the lashes. Not vibrant blue. Of course, Prune would look amazing with the BB palette.

Charlestongirl said...

I agree, Melanie. This formula is fabulous.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi angusmum1,

Quite a makeup-aware son! Perhaps an artist?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi ommorphiabeautybar,

Wow, two tubes. That is serious love. :)

Ellen said...

I would absolutely use the prune shade! It looks very similar to the RBR shade "oxblood". It looks like these burgundy shades are popular this spring. That's great news for those of us with green or green/hazel eyes, because the plum tones really accentuate green. I'm more likely to check out Chanel's version because it is so much more readily available. If its FF, its mine!

Charlestongirl said...

It's very much like the RBR, Ellen. Very pretty on.

Anonymous said...

I love both of them. So, most likely, will get two colors. Thank you for swatches. The shades are amazing :)

teadivamuse said...

I've been looking for a blue mascara! I think I'll take the plunge because of the rave reviews here. I wear mostly neeutral liners and very little eyeshadow so I think this will give a nice pop of color. I'm ready for summer-don't know about anywhere else in the country but spring is nowhere in sight here in CO so this will be a perfect pick-me-upper.

Claire said...

Definitely the plum one for me. I haven't tried this formula, I hope it is a bit better than Inimitable (read: less clumpy/thick).

Claire

slundberg said...

I must try this one. I have the hardest time finding a good mascara. Blue is a favorite from my teenage years:) Thanks..

slundberg said...

Thanks for this post, I have such a hard time finding a good mascara.