Monday, April 15, 2013

Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze in Ritual from the Folklore Collection for Summer 2013

There it was, irresistible, on Laura Mercier's Folklore Collection for Summer 2013 display. Baked Blush Bronze ($36) in Ritual - big and eye-catching, with swirls of bronze, shades of brown, pink, and even ivory. I have enough bronzer to last for life, but I still wanted to play with this one.

Laura Mercier Baked Blush Bronze is a baked powder with five complimentary shades that together provide the perfect, natural color for cheeks and face. Each tile is hand-mixed with a unique design. That's usually good with baked makeup. You get a little bit of every color.

Here's mine. It reminds me of my Laura Geller baked pieces, which are firmly entrenched in my life. I wear her blushes often. This Baked Blush Bronze - advertised and named as a blush and bronzer - will only work for me as a bronzer. It's too dark to be a blush.

I took swatch photos in full sun. I applied Baked Blush Bronzer heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator at the top of my arm. I used a powder brush to apply the larger swatch below.

For some reason in the store, it didn't look this dark. The color is good (nice and brown - not too muddy), but the rich color is too dark for my skin. It will be beautiful on someone with a darker skin tone. Yes, I can try to apply it faintly with a fan brush, but why bother when I have so many bronzers?

My lack of love doesn't mean you won't love it. If you have medium to dark skin, it's very pretty. It offers a slight shimmer with tiny, sparkly particles, giving it life without an unnatural look. I really like it - just not for me. It's a very rare day when I return something, but this piece may have to go back. Like the extremely shimmery eye shadows in the Folklore Collection, it wasn't meant to be. That's sad because it's so good looking - and generous in size.

I purchased mine at Neiman Marcus. You can find it at Laura Mercier counters and Laura Mercier's Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Laura Mercier; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Eileen said...

It's nice that LM made a beautiful blusher for medium to deeper tones. Although it is way to dark for you (and, yes, you should take it back), your swatch shows what lovely tones are in it. I'm sure many of your readers will be pleased with it's smooth and even color.

Off topic. I was reading your tweets at the side and noticed Charlie had gotten out. I hope that doesn't mean another hole in your screen! He's such a sweetie. It sounds like he's feeling much better :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I have no idea how that little brat got out. The screen appears to be fine, which means when I came in the door from Mom's house, he must have run out. I'm always watching for him to do that, so I'm baffled. Totally.

At feeding time (almost two hours later), I called and called, and no Charlie. Then I panicked, went out on the porch, screamed for him, and there he was, huddled against the foundation behind azaleas, telling me he wanted in. I opened the door, and he ran inside immediately. I may never figure that escape out. I hope he got his fill of grass because my lawn guy had just cut it. No good, long grass to eat.

He is feeling better, but I think he has a particular parasite that is common in Bengals and Bengal catteries. It comes and goes (symptoms). I need to get a very specialized test, and I can't afford it. So, as long as he's doing well, my vet agrees it can wait.

I am going to take it back. Right now, I can't afford something I can't use. Besides, TF shows up today or tomorrow.

MandiMomof3 said...

Did you just say TF coming today or tomorrow? EEK! Is this the new Summer collection? REALLY looking forward to seeing swatches/reviews.

Jo said...

Hi CG, I tried this bronzer too but it was much too dark for me too. It's definitely for those with darker skin. I think you're justified in returning it.

Is Tom Ford really coming today or tomorrow? Are you buying it from BG or is your local counter getting it?

Charlestongirl said...

Mandi, it didn't arrive today. Sob.

Moonchime said...

Thank you for reviewing this bronzer. I will have to pass on it too, since my coloring is closer to yours.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Darn! And I wanted you to love it, because I'm fair, too. Oh well, there will always be something else I want!

Anonymous said...

I'm fair like you and this works great as a contour color for me. Also I bought the earth glow eyeshadow and it's not really shimmery when applied to the eye. The color is awesome.

Charlestongirl said...

As a postscript, I returned it, feeling horribly guilty. I might return something once/year.

The MUA and SA who took it back and credited me agreed that it was WAY too dark on my skin.

Anonymous, the shadows had a fair amount on shimmer on me, but it could be blended down. I couldn't even contour with Ritual. It looked like I had a dirty face.

What makeup are you wearing? said...

It looks so beautiful in the pan, but I think it may be too dark for me too, sob!
Very useful review, thanks
Alice