Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau Beauty Booster Invisible Skin-Fusion Multi-Perfecting Makeup with Broad Protection SPF 30, Introduced with the Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013

Yes, another BB cream has been introduced, but this time, it's made by Guerlain. That made me perk up and pay attention.

I have to admit I've always found the category a bit baffling, so I've skipped it. When the name BB cream was first introduced, it meant Blemish Balm or Blemish Base, and it was obviously targeted toward a younger audience - one concerned about acne. Once cosmetics companies realized the market was even larger than they could have hoped, it morphed to Beauty Balm or Beauty Booster or any number of other explanations. Today, we should understand that BB cream is promoted as an all-in-one facial cosmetic product to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sunblock. It can be worn alone, over serum and moisturizer as a light foundation, and under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage.

Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau Beauty Booster Invisible Skin-Fusion Multi-Perfecting Makeup SPF 30 PA+++ ($51) piqued my interest the moment I read the training materials. This new BB cream is a multi-action skin perfector that gently enhances the beauty of the complexion for a sheer, barely there result. Since it was made by Guerlain, it had to be something I would love. Guerlain is one of my favorite beauty brands.

Here's what I knew about it before I purchased it. Note that color correction (just introduced by several companies and labeled CC cream) is one of the features of Lingerie de Peau Beauty Booster Invisible Skin-Fusion Multi-Perfecting Makeup with broadscreen SPF 30.

Freshness and Lightweight Texture. It has a soft-fusion texture thanks to the bio-fusion micro-mesh "foundation" created by linen and silk fibers. Designed to boost the natural beauty of the skin.

Hydration. Hydrating properties of hyaluronic acid, nature's sponge. Will result in plumped-up skin.

Color Correction. Color corrective pigments work in harmony with every complexion. This property will "unify" your skin tone.

Sun Protection. SPF 30 and PA+++ offer UVA/UVB protection to protect your skin's natural beauty and youthful appearance - or prevent further damage.

Guerlain says the benefits are unifying, moisturizing, and protective. It will correct your complexion in an instant for naturally beautiful skin that appears to be perfect. Guerlain's satisfaction tests on 30 women yielded the following results.
  • The skin is fresh and beautiful all day long = 97%
  • The complexion is even and imperfections are corrected = 97%
  • The skin is smoothed = 88%
  • Softer texture = 88%
  • Lightweight texture = 91%
  • Non-oily texture = 97%
I purchased the light shade (#01). Right now. only two shades are available: light and medium (#02). I love the tube. It has a pump top, and I can dispense a very small amount to avoid waste.

Foundations and tinted moisturizers are very hard to photograph. I took swatch photos by placing a dot at the top of my arm and barely blending another dot below, using my fingers. This shade is so perfect for my skin tone that it would have disappeared if I had blending it on my arm any further.

 
Unblended, it looks a bit yellow, and in truth it is. I agree with Bobbi Brown that yellow-based foundation shades are best for almost all of us. They certainly erase redness. When I blend this product into my face as I apply it, it disappears! The amazing part is that it can't be seen by the naked eye, but it covers imperfections and redness. I love it!

It becomes one with my skin. It proves all the coverage I need, along with sunscreen and moisture. How good does it get?

The active sunscreen ingredients follow.
  • Octinoxate 3.74 %
  • Oxybenzone 1.00 %
  • Titanium Dioxide 3.55 %
Most of us get carried away with Guerlain's color collections. They deserve the attention. So does this new Beauty Booster. If either shade is a good match for your skin, you're going to love it.

This new BB product (which appears to be part CC) is available now at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman - and of course at the Guerlain boutiques. Guerlain's boutiques always get products first. If you want to order from Guerlain, give Rhonda a call at (702) 732-7008. 

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

38 comments:

Suselew said...

I would love to try this, unless it is overly yellow. I have very pale, pink-based complexion that needs redness correction. I don't agree with Bobbi Brown, however, that every person needs a yellow-based formula. I have had a couple BB makeup artists try to match me with her foundations and they don't work because it never matches my jaw or neck. She takes that theory to the extreme. There are a lot of lovely formulas in BB/CC creams (like Dr. Jart) that produce a neutral-base that works well on me. I'm looking forward to trying this one out.

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, I got this a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it! I have very fair skin (between 01 and 02 in Guerlain's foundations), and this looks great on me and isn't too yellow. Plus I love the finish and the slight shimmer - perfect for summer!

Eileen said...

Definitely one to try! When my Guerlain gal called to confirm my appointment with Marcus, she said this had just arrived and that 01 Light would be perfect on me so I asked her to set it aside. It certainly won't replace a sunscreen (you'd have to use at least 1/2 teaspoon on your face to get SPF 30), but as a summertime, light-weight option to foundation, it looks fantastic. This lovely cream with a bit of powder would be perfect. It has such a lovely finish! I'm really excited to try this one now :-) Guerlain, you took your time, but it looks like a winner.

AZ said...

I'm so glad this color is light enough :) Thanks for always being on top of new releases! I can't stress how much I (and your other readers) appreciate that.

Could you comment on the finish and wear time? The Nars tinted moisturizer that everyone raved about was a total let down for me. So excited for this one!

Anonymous said...

My interest is actually piqued for this one. The swatch looks fairly neutral. CG, do you know if these shades co-incide with the foundation numbering system or if they are just arbitary shades? What shade of Guerlain foundation do you normally wear for comparison sake. I'm closest to an 02 in Guerlainese speak, and consider myself to have a light complexion. This looks possible just eyeballing your arm swatch, but wonder if I'm between shades.

Deb said...

Hi CG. I'm with Suselew on this. I have the same coloring she describes and I also happen to not agree with Bobbi Brown. I too have tried to get matched to several of her foundations and they do not match people with my coloring. I noticed in your swatch that when I enlarge the pic, the contrast between the product and your arm is very noticeable. It makes the rest of your arm look very red and I have not noticed that in the many swatches of yours I've looked at. I;m wondering how the contrast is between your face and neck with this on? Since I've never seen you in person, it's hard to judge from this swatch. But I am curious because, like you, I love Guerlain and have recently really started to get into exploring the brand more. Thanks.

Charlestongirl said...

Suselaw,

It is not overly yellow. It leans yellow rather than pink. It matches my jaw line perfectly, but if you have doubts, try it first. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Ditto, Ellen!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I think you're going to like it.

Charlestongirl said...

AZ, It stands up to a full day on me.

As for finish, it isn't exactly matte, but it's not shimmering or glossy either. It just looks like my skin.

Charlestongirl said...

Wwendalynne,

I don't know, but I've e-mailed Rhonda with that question for you. Stay tuned.

Charlestongirl said...

Deb, it was just the lighting when I took that photo. I didn't blend the lower swatch because it would have started to disappear. I just rolled it around on my arm. :)

I've noticed my arm has darkened in photos with the higher sun in the sky. Not always, but at a certain time of day.

Ellie said...

Great post! Never would have given this much of a glance I think, but now I think I definitely need it - sounds amazing!! :D

Jo said...

I'm definitely going to give this a try. It just appeared on the Nordstrom website today.

Charlestongirl said...

Wwendalynne,

Here is the scoop from the Guerlain boutique.

This new product is darker than the foundation in 01. Just a hair, they said. It's in between 01 and 02, but pinker than 02. Yes, pinker.

Even though I see a slight yellow undercast, it's still pinker than 02.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Ellie.

I love it, and I hear from Guerlain that it was an instant hit.

Charlestongirl said...

Good to know, Jo. We all love ordering from home, and Nordies does a good job.

Rosemary said...

ooooh, I've been waiting for you to review this, CG. I'm glad to know the lightest shade works for you, as I'm pale too.

I don't know whether to get this or wait for Chanel's CC cream. Have you heard when the latter is coming out? I thought not until July. If that's the case, I might go for the Guerlain. I really want something for warm weather and don't want to wait until July.

Eileen, I never would have thought that about the sunscreen aspect. 1/2 teaspoon to get SPF 30. Wow. Thanks for letting us know.

Rosemary

Eileen said...

Hi Rosemary,

Yes, you're supposed to use about a teaspoon for face, neck, and chest. That's why it doesn't make any sense at all to rely on your foundation or BB cream for SPF protection. No woman in her right mind is going to use that much foundation, BB cream, tinted moisturizer, etc. It's also why I think products like Peau Vierge should never be considered as offering good sun protection. At $125 an ounce, who is going to ever use enough of it to get an SPF of 30? It might be a great product, but it's not a great sunscreen.

There's a good article by John Su on Future Derm about how much sunscreen is necessary to get the SPF protection that is listed on the label. He's a bright and funny guy and is well worth reading. The questions/answers in the comment section are also very interesting. I've learned a lot from him.

Nina said...

I am looking forward to testing this out at the counter. I just want to clarify something you said about BB creams, CG. The term "blemish balm/base" as it is used in Asian countries, where the products became popular (the first one was actual a German formulation I believe) does not refer to acne blemishes but the discolorations that Asian skin is prone to. I myself am not a big BB fan as I find them too thick, but I just wanted you to know that they are not made specifically for young, acneic skin.

Janet J said...

I was so excited to read your review since I love Guerlain as well. The shades are perfect for my pale skin, and I liked the idea of a cc cream, (though it is the price of their foundation). My only disappointment is the sunscreen used in it :( I am allergic to all chemical sunscreens. I am so disappointed :( Thanks for letting me know ahead that my skin would react to the ingredients.

Charlestongirl said...

Nina, the problem is that there are formulas for every skin type. Allure pointed that out well.

Most customers get confused.

Charlestongirl said...

Rosemary,

Even worse, you need to apply it every few hours, and that's where we makeup wearing gals get left in the dust. I always recommend a great hat with a wide brim. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Janet,

I've learned how many of you would ask, so I put the active ingredients in the post. :)

Leigh said...

This is fantastic! My NARS tinted moisturizer is about out and I've been sampling a lot of BB creams and had been leaning towards Dior Diorskin Nude, but I love me some Guerlain and need to try this out! I'm quite fair but neutral enough that most very fair shades lean too pink for me, so this looks just right. Thanks for the heads up! Though I wish it had hit the NM site when I placed my Tom Ford order (can't wait for that illuminating blush to come)!

Anonymous said...

Hi CG! Thank you for pulling the information on colour. Sadly, this will be a pass unless I go all mad scientist and use it to blend with another product. So guilty of that. hahaha.

Speaking of mad scientist: For anyone who finds Armani Maestro a bit drying. In the winter I apply my normal skincare products, moisturizer, followed by a thin layer of Nars TM, followed by Armani Maestro only in spots where I want more coverage. I always use the armani foundation brush which looks like nothing special, but it's my favourite foundation brush. The products work well together on my skin and keeps my makeup looking very natural.

Christina said...

I am not totally sure if I should buy this. I am running low on Cle de Peau foundation and I wouldn't mind having something to cover any redness on my face. I am very religious on wearing sun protection and I usually have to reapply half way through the day if I go to work. I wouldn't know how to maintain the polished look with having BB cream on and apply sun protection on top.
Don't get me wrong, I will consider this BB cream based on your review.

Midwestern Mama said...

Thank you for posting! Did this settle in any fine lines or pores? I'm debating this one or the AmorePacific CC cushion compact.

When do you apply sunscreen? Before primer? After foundation? I never really thought about it!

Thanks!

Eileen said...

Hi Midwestern Mama,

You apply sunscreen after your skin care, but before your primer/foundation. Many of the more cosmetically elegant sunscreens designed for the face can actually replace a primer. Chanel, Clarins, Shiseido, SkinCeuticles, and Lancôme come quickly to mind. They make sunscreens that provide a hefty SPF and act as a primer.

For touch ups throughout the day, you can spread a bit of sunscreen along the length of your fingers, mush it around a bit to warm it and make it more spreadable, then lightly pat it all over your face. (If you have oily skin, you'll want to blot your face first and use a matte sunscreen.) So long as you don't rub, you won't disturb your makeup. After it dries, you can lightly powder, renew your blusher, or whatever it is you'd normally do by way of a touch up. It doesn't offer as much protection as a generous all-over AM application, but it's better than nothing. And don't forget your neck and chest! And your hands and arms! And your feet if wearing sandals! LOL :-D

Charlestongirl said...

Update 5/1: After I wrote and published this feature yesterday, I got an e-mail with an interesting blurb that speaks to my introduction and comments received.

According to Irina Barbalova, Global Head of Beauty and Personal Care research at Euromonitor, the industry needs to take note of the overuse of multifunctionality and BB labeling, as it can...cause more consumer confusion. She says some companies are tapping into the media buzz around BB creams.

This blurb had no relationship to - as far as I can tell - Guerlain or this product. No products were mentioned. It was a general warning that acknowledged consumer confusion.

Charlestongirl said...

Looks like Eileen has been holding down the fort.

Christina, I like the high SPF sprays for days when I'm wearing makeup and am out in the sun. They provide sun protection, but aren't messy and don't ruin my makeup.

Charlestongirl said...

Midwestern Mama,

I haven't noticed ponding.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh,

Doesn't it seem planned that new things hit the counter as soon as special offers end?

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

That email you received was interesting. BB has come to mean so many things. It's even being used now with hair products. No wonder consumers are becoming confused. Talk about advertising/ marketing trends! BB has got to be one for the record book!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

It was interesting I got that e-mail not long after I published. With CC just catching on, I'm wondering if the companies should devise product names that target the audience for which they are made. Even my beloved Guerlain. There was no good reason (other than a hot trend) to add BB to the already-long name.

Midwestern Mama said...

Thank you, Eileen and CG!

Unknown said...

Just ordered mine and excited to try it!

Unknown said...

Normally I avoid bb creams but I have to say this one looks appealing so maybe I'll give it a try. I like foundations with more coverage but maybe this is better for summer? when it comes to choosing the right colour though I really like websites like the one by ps beauty that do a foundation finder it's uicker to use than going to department stores if you don't have time.. xx