Saturday, April 27, 2013

Guerlain Fard Métal Iridescent Eyeshadow in Cuivre Ora from the Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013

I had two shades from which to choose. I had lectured myself about selecting only one. It went something like this, but with spicier language: "OK, you fool. How many more eye shadows do you need?"

When faced with reality, I choose Guerlain's limited-edition Fard Métal Iridescent Eyeshadow in Cuivre Ora (#01, #35) from the Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013. I think it will be more useful to me because I have fewer copper shadows than brown ones. I could just as easily selected Bronze Ora. When I saw these limited-edition eye shadows in person, I gasped.

The secret for beautiful eyes this summer, Guerlain’s loose, iridescent eye shadows give an immediate metallic result with only one light application. The shadows are available in two easy-to-wear shades: Cuivre Ora, a warm and sensual copper, and Bronze Ora: a timeless bronzed brown.

My new Cuivre Ora arrived from the Guerlain Boutique in Las Vegas this past week. I saw today that it's available at Neiman Marcus, so I would assume the Terra Ora Collection is now on counters - with the exception of Terra Nerolia, which will launch later.

Guerlain says that this metallic eye shadow needs only one light application. Take that seriously. Often, when I swatch makeup, I have to apply it unnaturally heavily to show you the color here. That sure wasn't the case with Cuivre Ora! I applied it to my arm with one coat and took my swatch photos in full, mid-day sun.

Kapow! This eye shadow applies like molten metal. Once it binds to your skin, it adheres perfectly, creating an opaque metallic finish that will stay with you all day - or night, the more likely time for its use. I'm way too conservative to wear Fard Métal in the daytime.

The copper color is stunning and really brings out the blue in my eyes. I'm thrilled with it all on its own (below the crease), but combined with the rest of the Terra Ora Collection, it adds sparkle and contrast to the sun-kissed look I can create with my new Guerlain goodies.

By the way, at Neiman Marcus I saw the shade of Shine Automatique the model is wearing: Corail Ora. I'm extremely tempted to purchase it. I'm changing and finally realizing that I can wear coral. No one in the industry who knew me 10 years ago would believe it. I would recoil when makeup artists tried to warm me up with coral shades. My appearance has changed too, though, making me even more of a blank canvass than I used to be.

When I first tested this loose powder Fard Métal shadow (that behaves like a liquid), I found that little sparkling bits of the powder went flying everywhere when I pulled the wand from the tube. I blew most of the strays off my face and camera, but the blue paper I used for the shot of the product was history. I couldn't blow off the powder, and if I had tried to brush it off, I would have had blue paper with copper shading. This eye shadow wants to adhere to anything. I'd recommend you remember that little nugget and apply it over your bathroom sink, where you can easily wash away any strays. I assume that won't happen as readily when the tube isn't full - but who knows?

Guerlain’s Terra Ora collection was scheduled to be available beginning in May at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman - and of course at the Guerlain Boutiques. I purchased mine from Rhonda at Guerlain. I know a few of you have called her; she's a doll. She got a huge kick out of one of you and shared with me your question, asked when she answered the phone, "You mean this is THE Rhonda?" You can reach her at (702) 732-7008.

I bought the Lingerie de Peau Beauty Booster Invisible Skin-Fusion Multi-Perfecting Makeup SPF 30 PA+++ product, and I'll show you a swatch of "light" very soon. Now we wait for Terra Nerolia. I have pre-ordered it. Do I want the rest of the collection - everything? Yes, but I'm reminded of one of my father's sayings about ice water and places for the deceased.

Photos at top and bottom courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

32 comments:

Dovey said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Wow, Cuivre Ora is such a stunning copper! I bet it would look so gorgeous on your eyes :)

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous and as I read it, I thought how thankful I am for your wonderful blog, your product evaluation and thoughts about things. You are an excellent writer, always varied and I enjoy your style. Hope Savannah is better. Have a great weekend and thank you again for this daily read.
Tanja

Nemo said...

So, when are you going back for the other one?????

CGirl said...

Gorgeous! The packaging looks incredibly similar to BareMinerals High Shine shadows, which also have the same fallout problems. When I bought mine, I read a tip that said to unscrew the cap (but leave it inside the container) and then tap down several times before pulling it out. This really helped with fallout for me, so just thought I'd share in case it helped with these.

Willi said...

I purchased Bronze Ora because it's such a chameleon. In some lighting it looks like a mauvey taupe, other lighting I see green. I also use a brush to apply it so I can control it. I don't pull the stopper all the way out, then run the brush over the base of the wand and it picks up enough to apply to the crease. This shadow is truly gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I giggled as I read your *edited* version of what went through your head while deciding which shades to choose for this product. I very much like what I see here and would probably opt for the brown/taupe shade. I love the incredible metallic sheen to the finish and it looks like a very pretty and no-brainer for a lovely sparkly summer eye.

Now I think I read this somewhere, but the brain simply isn't what it used to be, but I believe I read that our skintones change and become more neutral as we age. I've been on some very powerful drugs over the last 5 years with one being a low dose chemo drug. I know these drugs have affected my skin, nails, hair--lost a lot of it, but it's come back for the most part--but I also swear it has changed my complexion. I used to exclusively wear warm foundations and then all of a sudden noticed my favs were turning orange on me. I've gone down at least 2 shades in colour and warm everything completely washes me out; makes me look jaundiced and ill. It's the strangest thing, but now my best foundation matches are all neutral and I look far better in neutral/cooler colours than warm. Anyhow, I do believe the aging process also contributes and perhaps I'm just blabbing on here like a lunatic.. it does happen occassionally :)

Thanks for another thorough and great review, CG. I think there is a shade of coral for everyone. I think the key is whether the emphasis is on the pink side or orange. Orange is dead awful on me.

How is Savannah kitty today?

Nida Moughal said...

it is gorgeous color the packaging looks good too but the applicator seems hard to play with.
I need to try it since you have said that it is like molten metal. Its on my wishlist now =)

Midwestern Mama said...

Beautiful! I hope I can hold myself back from ordering! What a stunning collection. Thank you for posting!

Unknown said...

That's what I thought too!! I bet they are the exact same product, only these have the Guerlain name on them instead of Bare Minerals!!

Eve said...

I love copper shadows and this one is looks awesome, I can't wait to give it a try. Hey CGirl thanks for that tip about beating fall out!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Dovey,

It does look good, but I'll have to start going out at night more. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Tanja. She is better - and I appreciate the kind words.

It seems I am still being stalked by a vengeful "former reader" who has nothing better to do. I appreciate those of you who enjoy BTiB.

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, don't. I can't afford to buy more! I really want it.

Charlestongirl said...

CGirl - thank you! I must be senile. I remember a very similar product that is buried here, I'm sure, at the bottom of a box. Someone will find a relic made by Bare Minerals. You're absolutely right.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Willi, yep, that's why I want it.

Charlestongirl said...

Wwendalynne,

You are absolutely right. In my case, I have the same skin color, but I have much less redness in the center of my face. I can wear corals on the pink side. Orange/orange is still horrible on me. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Nida, it is, but if you read all the comments here, my wonderful readers have provided some great tips.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Midwestern Mama,

The key is to stop thinking about how glamorous you'd look wearing it. Who am I fooling?

Charlestongirl said...

Erin, ditto.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eve,

Isn't this a wonderful group?

Eileen said...

No one does summer like Guerlain (TF being the exception this year:-) ). I've put off buying anything from Guerlain because I'll be getting a makeup update by Marcus Monson at the end of next week. I think it looks good for the counter when their sales are up during an event. If my delightful Guerlain gal sells a lot when national/celebrity artists are in town, then she's able to have them come back. What I really love about the makeup applications I've had from national artists like Marcus and Chuck is that I've gotten some fantastic personalized looks and great lessons so that I can easily replicate what they've done. Bottom line: My list of beauties just keeps getting longer and longer every time you swatch, Charlestongirl! LOL. I have the feeling that next week is going to be one of the most expensive "free" makeup applications I've had in awhile :-). But who could resist all that summery goodness? Not I!

wendy said...

hi!!! i wonder if these are at my local counter? last year, i loved guerlain's "pucci" collection. they had a gorgeous gloss that was coral! i also used a shine automatique in pamplelune( please pardon me if this is not spelled correctly). i loved it and used it all the way down to the metal part. if that shade is available, i highly suggest this especially for all us girls with very light skin tones. on another note, i went passed bobbi brown counter and swatched their two new "shadow sticks". the bronzey one is still on my arm! i cannot get this off!!! and, that was from this morning! i also wanted to tell you that, if you did not know, saks is coming out with a chanel collection in june. les delices??? it's the spring one, this year that was an exclusive only in asia. at least that's what i've been told! good night and sweet dreams to you!!! xo. p.s. where's eileen?

angusmum1 said...

I havent anything as shimmery, always thought it is too much for over 40 but in the last couple of years I have really been making some advances. I just got the new Tarte palette and liner as well as a few new lipcolours from Lise Watier, a company in Montreal I believe they have recently started selling online in US, quite nice products. Anyway as I am starting over with building a collection it is harder than ever to know, also the issue of access. Thanks for being here to provide a roadmap all!

Eileen said...

Hi Wwendalynne, Hi Charlestongirl,

Isn't it funny how dramatically age and/ or medicine can alter our coloring? Not only does our skintone and hair color change, but even our eye color can fade. More so with age than medication, it's like we become a different person from the standpoint of how colors work on us. I can wear colors now that I never would have worn even as little as ten years ago and vice versa. It's that shift in coloring that causes women to look odd when they stick to the same old colors and products of their youth. That's one of the reasons I think it is so important to keep our looks fresh and modern by trying new things. Besides that, it's just so much fun!

Hi Wendy,

I'm here :-). I was at a concert this afternoon and no less than four women asked me what I was wearing on my eyes. Tom Ford naturally ;-). Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hi Eileen:

Absolutely agree and how can we argue that? What better excuse do we have for buying more goodies? I can't think of a better one :)

I routinely go through my makeup collection and donate (the ladies at my hair salon love me) items I have barely used and no longer want. It opens the 'coffers' so to speak for the new items. I also wanted to add that product advancements alone make it worth purchasing updated/newer items... the newer highlight powders/creams come to mind as being vastly more sophisticated in look and texture. Plus, heck, it's just fun the play and change things up. I'd die of boredom wearing the same old same old. Ha! I do not think I will get any arguments here.

p.s. Enjoy your makeup update and be certain to share details! We want to know all about your experience/haul :D

bedazzled64 said...

This is beyond gorgeous! I guess now I have to add this to my list, I want just about everything from the Guerlain summer collection. Cant wait for the Nerolia bronzer! Have you seen the kabuki brush yet? I'm debating on this as well, but cant decide. Also debating on whether I want the Terra Ora, just not sure how much use I'd get from that one. Hmmmmm

Charlestongirl said...

Wendy, check out the Chanel at my link here: http://bestthingsinbeauty.blogspot.com/2013/04/coming-attraction-chanel-les-delices-de.html.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I don't ever remember Marcus being advertised as doing an event here. I'm going to have to ask if he comes to the DC area.

Charlestongirl said...

Wendy, those BB shadow sticks are seriously long-lasting.

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, I did see the kabuki brush. It's lovely - would be fun to have because of the "longer" handle.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I am dying--just dying--to have this. As soon as I saw this, I knew it had to be mine! I usually don't mess around with loose pigments but after a pleasant experience recently with RBR's I decided that they weren't so bad after all if they came in the proper packaging (like this one and the RBR ones) and had a nice, soft, creamy texture. This one is just gorgeous--one of the most stunning loose pigments I have ever seen! Molten metal indeed--WOW! I had only planned to get Terra Nerolia but boy do I really want this AND Corail Ora now. Uh oh! :/ haha

Anonymous said...

My goodness is this gorgeous. This is definitely going in my makeup bag this summer!