Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Edward Bess Ultra Slick Lipstick in Island Blossom

Don't let anyone tell you peaches and corals aren't "in" for spring and summer! After seeing The Non-Blonde's preview of the new Island Blossom Ultra Slick Lipstick ($32) by Edward Bess, I ordered one from Sephora. While I was online, I agonized over the new shades. The pinks would be more "me," but I know I need to break out of my tried-and-true routines, and I've found recent peach and coral introductions to be warming and very pretty.

I'll admit I had started to despair over Edward Bess - after quality and packaging issues and that dorky Baby Pink Lip Palette. I was wondering if he had "sold out" to the lure of Sephora, transitioning from an elegant niche brand to the mass market. I hate to write that; it sounds so snobby. Bess had moved manufacturing to Taiwan, and it showed. Whether it was the company he selected or a middleman, the brand suffered. Now, with manufacturing returned to the United States, the results look pretty clear to me. Our "old favorite" Edward Bess has, once again, joined my must-have list.

So let's take a look at Island Blossom Ultra Slick Lipstick, described, appropriately, as coral. Called "soft" coral at Sephora, I would only question the adjective "soft." It's pretty intense - way more intense than Sephora's photo at the top of this feature shows.

Seduce the curves of your lips with irresistible, radiant color. This lipstick’s creamy, ultra-moisturizing formula drenches your pout with intense hydration for visibly softer, smoother lips. Build your lip wardrobe with all of Edward’s signature shades.

As Gaia said, this Ultra Slick Lipstick offers full coverage, a fairly long last, and a hydrating feel. I haven't had time to clock the duration of the moisture feel of this new version against one of the old versions, but I'd rate it mid-scale on hydration. That's often true of pigmented, long-lasting lipsticks.

I took swatch photos in full, mid-day sun. It is definitely a bold and pretty coral color to my eyes. Although both of my photos were taken in direct sunlight, the one directly above shows the shine that strong light brings out in the satin-finish Island Blossom. Note the opaque color. You really can't see the veins in my arm through the swatch.

Was Island Blossom the best color for me? Probably not. I can wear this color, but prefer it sheer. If I want some colorful drama, though, I'll have it at the ready. I'll probably wear it as a stain and apply a pretty peach lip gloss over it.

I'd really like to see the new shades in person before I select a second. We can find Edward Bess makeup, including this new lipstick, at Bergdorf Gooodman, a few Neiman Marcus locations, and Sephora.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

19 comments:

Suselew said...

That is my favorite color hue. Gorgeous.

Eileen said...

I've really been looking forward to Edward's return to form and think that he has done an admirable job of redeeming himself. The eyeshadow quads he released were right up there with the very best in terms of quality, complexity of color, and sophistication. The pink palette was a miss for me, but my young niece adored it. The new blushers look divine and the lipsticks sound promising. His Complexion Perfection is getting some great reviews and soon his new foundation will be out. I can hardly wait for my foray into Beverly Hills to take a look at all his new beauties. You know, until that manufacturing gaff, EB was the man to beat when it came to easy to wear, refined and understated elegance. Welcome back, Edward! :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suselaw,

It sure gets your attention. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

I should find a 15-year-old to "gift" my pink palette. :)

Anonymous said...

Hiya CG! Yes, I'm all chipper! The sun is finally finally shining today!! And judging by your photographs, it is also shining in your part of the world as well.

I actually snort laughed at your little poke at the Edward Bess Baby Pink Palette because I remember gaping like a carp at it on Sephora... and I LOVE hot pink!

So once again the Sephora swatches bite. The lipstick pictured at the top looks to be a lightish apricot so thanks for the great swatches of this lovely colour. I don't know who is saying coral is out this year because I'm still seeing it everywhere--and orange too. Sad, but I look terrible in orange and believe me, I've tried many variations. I wear it occasionally anyway. Blah blah blah.. I'm typing and thinking really fast. Sun is good!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Oh, I'll bet you can wear that coral, and then some!!! I love the look of it on your arm. Can I borrow your arm for awhile? ;-)
And lol about the 15-yr. old and your Edward Bess pink palette!!

Charlestongirl said...

Yeah, Wwendalynne, online photos can be so deceptive. I've got my monitor set as true as it gets. So, I think it's the sites.

Did you see my feature on that pink palette? Too bad I can't sell it, but I'm faced with giving it to a kid. No one held a gun to my head to make me purchase it, so I will not return it. Against my principles.

I used to think I looked bad in orange. So then MUAs started using it a lot on me. I can wear sheer oranges, but this one is really pigmented. I will have to apply, blot, and then use something over it. I should have gone with my instincts and purchased pink.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

Wow this is such a pretty shade--so perfect for spring/summer! I would probably wear it the same way--as a stain, since I don't like to wear very opaque lip colors but there's no denying this is a beauty!

Charlestongirl said...

It is really pretty, Becca. I'm going to play with it.

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal,

Have you got a 15-year-old?

Claire said...

Three cheers for Edward! I wholeheartedly agree about the quality of EB products made in Taiwan, I had to return the Back to Basics palette because I was so disappointed with the quality. Hopefully things are looking up for the brand, and I am always a big suporter of things made in the U.S.

Claire

Gauri said...

Great stuff!!!

Anonymous said...

Edward posted recently that he's going to be on QVC next Friday night! Talk about a large audience, I can't wait to see his show.

Unknown said...

I really like the color. Im not sure if I could pull it off either, but Im crushing on corals right now.

Charlestongirl said...

Claire,

I think his company has righted itself. He listened - we all complained. He changed. How 'bout that for responsiveness?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Gauri,

Very pretty new colors. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Gosh, Anonymous, I hope it's not too late at night.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Amandadear,

It's pretty bold. The good news is that there are more colors from which to select. One is bound to rev you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.