Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Dior Nude Tan Paradise Blush & Bronzer Duo in Pink Glow from the Birds of Paradise Collection for Summer 2013

Drawing from Christian Dior's passion for the lushness of nature in the tropics, the 2013 Summer Look, the Birds of Paradise Collection, is an invitation to an exotic journey through Latin America and its colors. The Nude Tan Paradise Blush & Bronzer Duo ($56) was introduced with the collection in two shades: Pink Glow (#1) and Coral Glow (#2). I selected and purchased Pink Glow at the counter at Neiman Marcus.

The Nude Tan Paradise Blush & Bronzer Duo provides a sun-kissed effect and maximum radiance. Two slightly iridescent harmonies - bronzer on one side to warm up the complexion and blush on the other for a pop of color on the cheeks. The powder duo comes with a couture design brush to naturally blend the shades, giving the buyer maximum color range.

Dior equals luxury, right? So, why did I find little flaws in the box containing my compact and brush? Both pieces come with the signature Dior velveteen pouch. Oddly, though, I was surprised when I opened both. As you can see in the photo below, the compact is not aligned correctly. What you many not be able to see in my photo are the scratches in the case. They match, top and bottom, which made me suspect prior use or poor treatment at the counter. However, no one at the counter placed the powder into the compact at 11:00 rather than 12:00. That was done when the compact was assembled.

The powder is fine, so I have no energy to return it in hopes of receiving a more perfect piece. I was surprised at the poor quality control. When I looked into the pouch to pull out the brush, I found something that looked like a maple seed. Since I had just walked outside and unboxed the set, there is no way it flew into the box. I pulled out the brush, and the debris landed somewhere in my driveway. After inspecting the brush for signs of prior tampering, I decided it was fine. The message here is to check out yours at the counter before you leave the store - if you care about perfection.

As a side note, this is not the first time I've seen the color product placed improperly in the pan. I have noticed it in the last year or so with multiple brands and multiple products. I've had my share of pans inadequately adhered to the compact too. What's happening with the quality of our high-end makeup?

Now, that said, let's get to the glorious colors. The four quadrants of the compact contain different shades of blush and bronzer. There are two pinks and two very light bronzers. All four shades in Pink Glow are absolutely perfect for fair skin.

I decided to swatch each shade in the palette separately, using a sponge-tipped applicator and applying the shades heavily. I started with the light tan in the upper left quadrant and moved clockwise in the palette. Then I took a dense blush brush and applied a blended, large swatch on my arm below. What surprised me was that the blended colors are so sheer, they almost disappeared to the camera on my arm. My photos were taken in full sun.

I'm not thrilled with my photos, but it's raining, so there will be no opportunity for a do-over today. Here is a full-arm shot of all the swatches. There are close-ups below. The lighter of the two tans shades in the compact is shown at the top of my arm. I think it adhered to my arm better than the darker tan, which you'll barely see (fourth stripe). The colors are pretty and natural, particularly for fair complexions.

The two pink shades are glorious. One is peachy pink, and one is cooler, without being chilly. They coordinate well. Both are extremely pretty on the cheeks.

Here's what surprised me. The blended shades applied to my arm are extremely sheer and light. While I can see them (look at the left side of my arm where they appear to be less blended), you may not be able to tell they are there - either in the top photo or the one directly above. I think it's possible that my moisturizing base didn't extend far enough down my arm.

Here's another shot, widened out, where I show you more of my natural arm below the blended application. You'll have to trust that I can see the powder on my face. I don't find it iridescent either. It provides a much more natural finish than I would expect from a product described as iridescent. It's radiant, but not iridescent.

Here's a photo that shows the finish more accurately. You can see a light sparkle, but nothing I'd term iridescent. The shades will give you a glow, though.

I actually love these shades, alone and blended, but my skin is very fair. They look extremely natural. I'm not sure how those with medium skin tones will feel about Pink Glow, but I am certain that it will disappear on those with dark skin tones.

Other than the packaging flaws, I am extremely happy with the Nude Tan Paradise Blush & Bronzer Duo in Pink Glow. What do you think? Have you tried it? Purchased it? Think you would love it?

You can find the new Dior Birds of Paradise Collection at Dior counters, and it is a available online at Nordstrom.

Photo at top courtesy of Dior; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Eileen said...

I bought the light version of the Nude Glow bronzer last summer and adored it's versatility and how smoothly it applied. I must admit; however, I never used the small brush that came with it. There's nothing wrong with the brush, it's just that I like a more diffused glow so I use a larger, softer, and less dense brush. It was with high hopes that I went to check out these new "Glows", but found neither one of the blusher shades suited me :-( The quality of the powder itself, though, is excellent.

Apropos quality control, I think you're right about it becoming more common place. Consequesntly, I've become more of a stickler about accepting luxury makeup in less than pristine condition or in shoddy packaging. I'm not naïve. I know that much of what I'm paying for when I purchase a high end product is it's presentation, so it better be good. I find that on the very rare occasions that I've taken a flawed product back, the SA has been very good about exchanging it and checking the replacement before I leave the counter, but I really shouldn't have to go through the hassle of returning something in the first place.

Eileen said...

Oops! I obviously meant lack of quality control has become more common place :-P

Deb said...

HI CG. I've had this on my Nordstrom shopping list for a while but was waiting for more reviews before purchasing. So thank you for the in-dpeth review. One question for you: are there any noticeable shimmer or sparkle flakes in the product? I can't see any in your pics but just wanted to be sure. The product is describes as iridescent and that always gives me pause. Thanks.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I am annoyed, but as I said, not enough to run over to NM with it. I think when you pay that much, you should get a product that's near-perfect.

I can't see this color palette working for you, based on your descriptions of yourself.

Charlestongirl said...

Deb, yes, but they are teeny tiny. I would call it shimmer light.

m said...

Oh darling, i feel your pain. I am of firm belief, if I am paying top dollar for a product it better be perfect!! Cosmetics in general cost a fraction of what they are charging to the costumer. I will not accept a flawed product, merely because I cannot bring myself to using it on a daily basis. Those scratches would drive me insane. My inner "you can't get over on me" attitude would go into overdrive. The very best to you!

AZ said...

This looks wonderful... but for some reason i keep going back to looking at the new Guerlain 4 seasons. I think I may just dish out the money and buy that one.

LilJeJa said...

I just bought Bobbi brown shimmer brick and have the same issue with the product placement in the pan.

grlnxdor said...

I just love that more and more companies are putting out products for those of us who are fair. Bronzers are getting lighter and less orange. Yeah!

Charlestongirl said...

Ditto, Grlnxdor!

Charlestongirl said...

LilJeJa,

I am astounded! How did that happen with a square?

Charlestongirl said...

You will like it, AZ. Great product!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, M. It's pretty annoying.

Meredith said...

I too have noticed on a few products that I've purchased lately, the same imperfections. There is no excuse for this kind of presentation when you are paying the prices we do for high end makeup. It all counts, not just the color, or quality of the makeup, but the container it comes in etc. I have even heard that the executives have meetings to discuss the sound of the click when the compact snaps shut. It has to sound like quality. I am very upset when something I have paid a lot for is done shoddily. I return it as I know it will irk me every time I use it if I don't have a perfect item. Perhaps I'm making too much of it but you know, it just isn't right.

Claire said...

V. interesting faulty product placement, I must say! In the years I've bought makeup, I've never came across anything like this. I, too, am perfectionist in that regards, besides, it is my hard-earned $$ that I'm spending, I must be thoroughly satisfied with the product! Sorry about this, CG.

The bronzer is indeed sheer, but the blush shades are v. pretty. This is something that I think I'd better try in person. Thanks for the post!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I got all excited when I first saw the photo of the product. But as I read on, and saw what you were talking about with the lack of quality control, I lost all of my initial "woo hoo." (I feel like the "Wild and Crazy Guys" after they get shot down by some girls they're trying to pick up..."We swing no more..." Remember Dan Akroyd and Steve Martin doing that skit on SNL?) I've had complete pans of color fall out on my bathroom floor because they weren't glued in properly. Once again, we're the consumer - We should have the power in this situation! I should have complained, but didn't. But we should at least let them know.