Saturday, April 13, 2013

Bobbi Brown Sheer Lip Color - The Look of the Season

Bobbi Brown read my mind. Perhaps one of her fabulous employees heard me as I thought, "Not that I need another sheer lipstick, but wouldn't it be nice if Bobbi Brown created one?" I saw the new Sheer Lip Colors ($25) first at Bobbi Brown's Web site. Then I passed the display at Saks. I had hoped to buy locally, and I was thrilled that I could - until I got the advance notice about the Friends & Family Sale. Oh well.

Bobbi Brown calls it "mistake-proof, no-mirror lipstick." Check. That's one reason I adore sheer lipsticks and glosses. They are forgiving.

Bobbi believes that lipstick should be quick and easy - and Sheer Lip Color is exactly that. This super-lightweight formula glides on smoothly and evenly, delivering a sheer and slightly glossy finish that’s highly wearable. Formulated with luxurious shea butter, murumuru butter, and apricot kernel oils, Sheer Lip Color rejuvenates and nourishes, improving the overall condition of lips instantly and over time. Plus, the unique translucent base allows its true color to last for hours without feathering. It's available in neutral, bright, and deep shades (the hardest part is having to choose).

Here they are on display. Yes, I should have moved the water bottle, but I had was elbowing in to get the shot at Neiman Marcus and didn't want to ruffle any feathers.

Here are the 14 sheer shades. Just click on this photo to enlarge it. I shopped the shades in person - with the help of my wonderful makeup artist Loyd Cassler from Chanel - and I selected two. Then Loyd pointed out a third that I had to have. Sold!

Here are the three I purchased. They were rolling around while I was trying to photograph them, so I rolled down the color a bit to attempt to stop the motion. From left to right, they are #1, Passion Fruit; #3, Pink Rose; and #10, Carolina. I adore all three.

I took swatch photos this morning in full, morning sunshine. I swatched in the order above on my arm, from top to bottom.

Passion Fruit at the top of my arm was Loyd's choice, and I am so glad he "made me buy it." It's pink-a-licious. My own choices, which I selected pretty quickly, were #3, Pink Rose, shown in the middle, and #10 Carolina, shown at the bottom. I was aiming for a rose and a brown-rose, and I got them. Yea!

I would have taken one of every color on the display had I had the money. I love the feel, the look (not totally sheer), and the colors of Bobbi Brown's new lip colors. One is even called Bobbi. It's a brown-nude, of course. Plus, you must check out the plum Cherry Pink - and, well, all of them. The colors are scrumptious. An extra-added benefit is that the color lasts much longer than with many other sheers. Perhaps that's because of their pigmentation. They aren't see-through; they offer a semi-sheer finish. There is no discernible flavor or fragrance.

Even though these Sheer Lip Colors are scheduled to arrive at Bobbi Brown counters in May, both Saks Fifth Avenue, where I purchased mine, and Neiman Marcus have them available - as does Bobbi Brown's Web site. If you like sheer lip color, you must go see them. I love, love, love them.

Photo at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Mara said...

Thank you so much for reviewing these so fast! Oh that Passion Fruit is really gorgeous and surely must brighten the whole face without the boldness of a full coverage lipstick. I wondered about staying power before I read your review (just trying to find an excuse not to buy them...) so now I am sure at least a couple of them will come home with me soon!

bisbee said...

Thanks from me as well. What Friends and Family sale are you referring to?

bisbee said...

Duh...never mind! I paged down!

Running with Scissors said...

Lovely! Glad you are enjoying them! xx

Eileen said...

Aren't those just as pretty as pretty can! I can see why Loyd suggested you add Passion Fruit to your selection. It's perfect for summer--bright and cheerful without being too orangey. I love Bobbi's "brights" because they are never garish or difficult to wear. So often brighter colors require a lip liner or brush to look their best, but these swipe and go sheers we've been seeing this year let us enjoy the color without the effort :-) Lovely color choices!

Appu said...

Oooh I love Bobbi's Creamy Lip colors, perfect lipstick formula...I hope these are just as moisturizing on my lips! Can't wait to check these out! :) I always get terribly excited for a new lip product from Bobbi Brown :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mara,

Passion Fruit is gorgeous. The staying power is good.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Christy,

Nicest set of colors from BB in a long time - I think.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

No lip liner here. As for the mirror...

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Appu,

Me too!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm SO happy you swatched these for us!!! Yippee!!! I want them all.

Lea said...

These are GORGEOUS!! Thanks for swatching them so fast! Must run out and grab a couple...how did Passion Fruit compare to Hot Raspberry? Is Bobbi "too" nude or did you like it? I'll have to get to a counter soon! Thanks!

Lea

wendy said...

good morning and happy sunday to you! i absolutely love your blog! thanky for posting this!! i have a question....how are these comparable to chanel's rouge coco shine's?? i really love that a chanel associate helped you, a true sign to me that they are very interested in you and genuinely want to help you. mine wish to not! i heard that bobbi's coming out with just a few eye color sticks for summer. i know i'll here about them thoroughly first from you! anyway, her's should be neutral which, with these new lippies should be very nice. i like how someone commented above about how you can count on bobbi for colors never to be "garish". xxxxxxxxxpp

bisbee said...

I ordered my 3 sheer lipsticks just now with the discount - I'm excited to try them! I ordered Carolina, Cherry Pink, and Pink Rose.

Thanks CG!

AnneD said...

Hi CG, I am enjoying your blog with my Sunday morning coffee. I love the Bobbie Brown Sheers and I will be seeking them out asap. I made my VIB trek to Sephora yesterday and bought Tarte 12 hour foundation and one lippie in Glitzy. Also got the Phillip Thomas Roth sunscreen powder everyone loves. Hubby gets Prada Infusion D'Iris Homme for his Bday, so I saved a little. Gotta go back for more before the VIB sale is over. I love these VIBs and FIF sales. Enabling to say the least. Have a lovely day!

Gauri said...

Passion fruit is a nice choice :) I'd ♥ to try it :)

Anonymous said...

I bought Ballet Pink on Friday from a Blue Mercury store. It is a beautiful everyday color that is subtle and elegant. I just ordered two more colors online with the FF sale. I will probably regret not buying more colors later.