Sunday, May 15, 2011

ZETA Eau de Parfum by Tauer Perfumes

ZETA ($146.90) was my first Andy Tauer fragrance purchase. I had read so much about him and his niche fragrances, I was anxious to try one. The description of ZETA, named after the sixth letter of the Greek alphabet, led me to believe I would love it.

Now that I have had it for weeks, I can report that it has a dual personality. I love its introduction; its finish is not "me." Does that mean there is anything wrong with it? Not at all! I think it will please some enormously.

When ZETA arrived (I ordered it from LuckyScent), I was pleasantly stunned by its elegant packaging. I don't usually get carried away by packaging, but Zeta's arrival made a statement in its snazzy metal box.

ZETA has a linden personality. Think intoxicating linden blossoms in June, oranges, and rose petals - a floral delight on first spray. Designed to be a charming ode to summer, Zeta builds on the finest raw materials available. It is the high concentration of expensive natural ingredients and the elegant composition that makes it a luxurious and exclusive perfume - pricey too.

The fragrance opens with a bright chord of lemon and bergamot with a sweet orange note. Ylang ylang, orange blossom absolute, and steam-distilled neroli all join a natural and vivid linden blossom in the heart of the fragrance that shines with a honey yellow rose. This opening blend is divine. It is light, gentle, and brilliant - for about an hour and a half.

When it dries down, it assumes its second personality, one that's nice for anyone who loves a woody scent. The base notes just don't carry the soft, floral opening to a fitting conclusion for me. ZETA finishes with a lasting and vibrant orris root note, with natural sandalwood and natural vanilla. There is nothing at all unpleasant about this base note blend. It's just a little too "sophisticated" for my tastes, and the finish is so long-lasting that the woody twin outshines its floral sister.

Apparently, ZETA is the first in a "collectible" line that is being developed with ingredients from specific harvests. Such was the case with some of my favorite limited-edition orange blossom scents from L'Artisan. In their case, though, once they're gone, they're gone. While ZETA will not be a limited edition, later releases may not smell exactly the same because of harvest differences - like fine wines differ from vintage to vintage.

Will you like ZETA? If you want two fragrances in one, and you appreciate all the notes, you may love it. For me, it was an experiment. I'm sure I can find it a better home.

Photos courtesy of LuckyScent and frenchgardening.com

6 comments:

Pam said...

So sorry ZETA was not for you. It sounds perfect to me. I love the opening notes but I really like the dry down...woody scents are my favorite. Gaia reviewed it sometime back and I knew then it would be for me. She's going to send me a sample.

Laura F. said...

Ooh, I have been meaning to order a sample of this from Luckyscent. Must do.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Pam!

I knew there would be eager wearers for ZETA! Let me know if you don't get my buddy Gaia's sample. I can make one for you. I have a whole bottle here and doubt I will wear it again before I give it to a friend.

Same for you, Laura. If you don't order a sample from LuckyScent, lemme know. I can't go into the sampling business (only because of time), but I could take care of you two.

lovethescents said...

I still haven't sampled this but it's been in the back of my mind to do so. The idea of linden blossom is so perfect but, to be honest, I'm still very afraid of Tauer. Most of his frags are too full-on and thick for me. I really love l'Air du Desert, and also Carillon in teeeeeeeensy doses, but that's it. I do have better hopes for this since reading your review. You might have just pushed me to go ahead and get a sample. Thank you!

I'm sorry you don't like it. I'm sure you can flog it for something you'll want more :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Don't I have a box to send you? I could throw in a sample. :)

lovethescents said...

Oh, I wouldn't want you draining too much of that pricey juice, though!

Speaking of linden blossom, have you tried Bond No9's Eau de Noho?