Sunday, March 20, 2011

Resveratrol Age-Revitalizing Fruit Chews from ResVitále

Finally - a dietary supplement that tastes so good I look forward to chewing it! Resveratrol Age-Revitalizing Fruit Chews ($19.99) from ResVitále are little, individually wrapped chewies that are packed with resveratrol in an amount equal to 60 glasses of red wine! I can chew a little candy and get all the benefits of my favorite French red wines without spending over $100/bottle!

We've all heard that red wine contains resveratrol, a powerful polyphenol found in the skin, seeds, stems, and vines of red wine grapes, which has significant antioxidant properties. Resveratrol is thought by many to explain the "French Paradox," the fact that the French have a remarkably low incidence of heart disease compared to Americans, despite a diet rich in butter (thank you, Julia Child!) and other fatty foods. Actually, the fact that French people walk much more than Americans may be another significant factor. The level of obesity in the United States, particularly among children, is a frightening health crisis.

There are over 2,000 clinical studies documenting the amazing benefits of resveratrol. Anyone who doesn't see a benefit to increasing it in the diet may also believe the earth is flat and that global warming is a political plot. [Sorry, non-believers, science can explain why our cold winters are actually tied to global warming.]

I'm going to get techie on you for a few moments. Harvard University biochemists believe that resveratrol turns on the sirtuin gene, also known as the SIRT1 longevity gene. By activating this gene, scientists believe resveratrol mimics the effects of caloric restriction, which is thought to slow the aging process by limiting dietary energy intake. Resveratrol is also thought to slow many of the degenerative effects associated with aging and may potentially increase life span. Some of these health benefits may include protection from Alzheimer's, arthritis, cardiac disease, and certain forms of cancer.Trans-Resveratrol, the bioactive form of the resveratrol polyphenol, has been proven in clinical studies to activate SIRT1 and enhance cellular productivity. Trans-Resveratrol has also been shown to increase the number of mitochondria in cells, thus increasing energy capacity and enhancing sensory-motor function.

Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center used resveratrol to aid in fighting pancreatic skin cancer. One article published in the respected journal Science recounted a peer-reviewed finding that resveratrol may be a potential cancer preventative. It has also been found to inhibit tumor growth, mitigate the effects of a high-fat diet (published in Nature), and may even protect against radiation exposure! Just Google resveratrol if you would like to learn more.

I was delighted when ResVitále sent me a package of Resveratrol Age-Revitalizing Fruit Chews. I had been eying the resveratrol supplements at Costco, but had never added them to my already over-burdened cart (I hit the healthy aisle at the end of my roll through the store). The soft chews, made with organic ingredients, are said to:
  • Help revitalize the youthful collagen network in the skin;
  • Help repair age-related cell damage and restore youthful DNA;
  • Boost energy production in cells;
  • Defend against stress, sun damage, and toxins; and
  • Contain antioxidant-rich superfruits for serious anti-aging defense.
I have read Dr. Perricone's writings on superfruits, which are rich in antioxidants, and I was already sold on the concept. In fact, I've eaten more blueberries in the last few months than at any other time in my life.

Unfortunately, it's recommended that you eat only one of these little sweets every day (you can have two for "advanced cellular protection"). They are a bit addictive like other fruity chews. Each has only 20 calories, so that shouldn't be a consideration. They leave a slightly sweet aftertaste (like drinking red wine without the alcohol), but cause absolutely no heartburn or "wash-back" the way some dietary supplements do (to me, at least). Because they are individually wrapped, you can take them along easily. I popped a few in my handbag for the mornings when I leave home without consuming my Resveratrol chew. I like them - a lot!

I'd love to be able to tell you that after chewing them for a few weeks I began to look 35 again. Despite what some might think, I'm not crazy. What I do believe is that I'm taking steps, backed up by science, to protect my body, and that makes me feel good. It also makes me feel just a little less guilty when I indulge my cravings for pepperoni pizza, great hamburgers, well-done french fries, and the carbs in my life.

Head over to ResVitále's Web site to find out more about their diverse product line and how to order. If you have a GNC store near you, you can find their products there.

Photo courtesy of ResVitále

4 comments:

Eileen said...

I'm a huge fan of resveratrol and started adding it to my supplements about a year ago. I'll definitely have to go to GNC tomorrow to get some of these little chews. It sounds like an easy and tasty way to get my daily resveratrol. I'm currently taking a liquid resveratrol supplement which is good, but not convenient; especially if I'm in a hurry in the morning. I've noticed a definite difference since taking resveratrol. It makes me feel a bit brighter and more energetic. It's the feeling that everything is working the way it should be.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I could use some of that energy! I am looking forward to feeling it. Maybe today when I'm at PT would be a great start. :)

Bari said...

I can't wait to get these! Between these, my Adora calcium & Vitamin D chocolates, and Fiber Gummies, who needs dessert!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Bari,

These are addictive. Try to chew on just one!