Thursday, June 10, 2010

CARON Paris Muguet du Bonheur Eau de Parfum

If I had been a poet, I would have written an ode to muguet du bois! CARON Paris created the next best thing, an intoxicating lily of the valley fragrance. Isn't this bottle pretty? It reminds me of a favorite Baccarat vase. The bottle I bought isn't this classy, but it's a traditional CARON spray bottle with a classic appeal.

I learned at Now Smell This (a great blog about perfume) that "CARON released Muguet du Bonheur in 1952 to honor the traditional French practice of presenting sprigs or bouquets of lily of the valley as a good-luck token on May Day. The fragrance was developed by Caron perfumer Michel Morsetti and has notes of lily of the valley, lilac, jasmine, magnolia, pear, heliotrope and musk."

The Eau de Parfum was suggested to me by Giuseppe Intili when I was shopping at Henri Bendel. I had told Giuseppe about my favorite fragrance notes, and while we were testing, sniffing, and "swooning," he suggested Muguet du Bonheur. The scent is overwhelmingly lily of the valley. I can detect a hint of lilac and jasmine, but I really can't smell the additional notes.

Do you ever purchase something and then set it aside for later - to be discovered when you need a treat? I do, and this is one I had set aside for spring. Spring came, and I overlooked it. It was last week when I went looking for it, and when I unwrapped it and sprayed, I was delighted! I love shopping in my house.

The scent lasts about a half day on me. Each time I spray it, I spray some on my arm so that I can take a whiff now and then. It's a terrific mood brightener! I can't resist lilies of the valley. If you do too and can't get to Henri Bendel, or you are interested in finding a fragrance with your favorite notes, give Giuseppe Intili at Henri Bendel a call at (212) 904-7990. He will take good care of you! Tell him your likes and dislikes. You may have a new favorite winging your way in no time.

You can also order Muguet du Bonheur at Amazon for $33.25!

Photo courtesy of CARON Paris

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this perfume as well - it was a Christmas gift from my husband. I had wanted Caron's Fleur de Rocaille, but he purchased this one instead - it is my essence of spring perfume. I grow Lily of the Valley in my garden, and every year I anxiously await the delicate bell-like blooms of the flower so I can deeply inhale the magical fragrance. This perfume is near perfection of the flower - without any cloying headiness. I believe it is available at Beauty 360 in Dupont - they carry most of the other rare Caron perfumes as well.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks for letting me know I can buy it in DC! I am sure I will need another bottle at some point.

Your husband has very good taste!

Unknown said...

what a lovely description! and the price is really good too for such a nice perfume :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you! I haven't gone back to see what I paid for it at Henri Bendel. I don't want to get depressed. :)

Clarisse said...

Shame on me...I didn't know Muguet du Bonheur de CARON, I know several others and CARON is a very reputed perfumer (their bottles are lovely and they have somptuous cristal jars in their Paris boutiques which are just wonderful!You would love it)
Thank you for the idea I'll have to test it very soon as I love the flower and its gorgeous fragrance!

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse, I think visiting the boutiques in Paris would be incredibly fun (and probably expensive, given my lack of self-control).

Maybe after I have my knees replaced!

Junie said...

I love love love lily of the valley, so on your advice I purchased this - and it is lovely! Thank you for the recommendation.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Junie!

I am so glad you like it! Now I want to try other CARON fragrances. I'm inspired. :)