Monday, April 12, 2010

Josie Maran Argan Oil and Argan Oil Primer Mist

You know I'd write about Josie Maran Argan Oil eventually, didn't you? We have talked about Argan Oil in comments. Anna, a frequent reader, told us it heals blemishes almost overnight. Kari at Fabulous Over Forty reviewed it not too long ago. She used it on her scalp to relieve the itchiness that comes with eczema. While I had tried another brand of Argan Oil, I had never used the Josie Maran Argan Oil ($14 or $48) until recently. The verdict: I love it!

Josie Maran Argan Oil is a legendary moisturizing and healing oil that's grown organically in Morocco. Argan Oil is known to have many treatment benefits, including hydrating, nourishing, toning, and firming skin. It's gentle enough to use on all skin types - even babies - and counterintuitively helps many with skin conditions like acne.

It's very 100% pure organic oil, so naturally it does not contain parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrance or dye, petrochemicals, or phthlates. You can use this oil on your skin, hair, cuticles, lips - anywhere you need some help.

When I finally broke down and bought this legendary product, I decided to give it the ultimate test. I substituted it for my moisturizer four nights running. I used the dropper to put a small amount in my hand and realized very quickly that a little goes a long way. I applied it over my entire face (avoiding my eyes) and neck. It was interesting to me that I didn't feel like I had an oil slick on my face. The oiliness, if any, lasted only a minute or two. After that, I was simply dewy, and there was no fragrance (natural or otherwise) left behind. There was no oil transfer to my pillowcases. The Argan Oil sunk right into my skin. When I awakened each morning after I had used it, my skin was as hydrated as if I had used one of my regular cream moisturizers. It was definitely still there, though, protecting my skin. I could feel it on my face when I started my morning shower. Overall impression? Josie Maran's Argan Oil is worth its weight in gold.

Here is how Josie Maran describes Argan Oil.

Argan Oil is an all-natural, 100% organic, chemical-free beauty marvel. Produced from the Argan tree in semi-deserts of Morocco, Argan Oil has been used by Moroccan women for centuries for its nutritional and cosmetic benefits. Commonly referred to as “liquid gold” or “The Gold of Morocco,” Argan Oil is an incredibly rich source of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids. It has astonishing healing, conditioning and anti-aging properties to keep your skin and hair nourished and revitalized and to keep you looking beautiful from head to toe. Argan Oil is not only a “super food” for the skin and hair but for the whole body. Having twice as much Vitamin E as olive oil including vital antioxidants, Argan Oil plays a major role in a healthy diet and is commonly used in traditional Moroccan recipes.

A cosmetic so good and pure you could eat it? Literally? That is the ultimate in natural beauty. After all, why would we put something on our face that we would not put into our bodies?

Argan Oil comes in a recyclable bottle with a dropper for extracting a little bit at a time. If you aren't willing to commit to purchase a $48 bottle, you can try the $14 bottle - perfect for travel or a trial size.

Argan Primer Mist ($36) is a new product for spring 2010. This lightweight formula comes in a spray container. It harnesses the power of Argan Oil infused with naturally-derived stem cells harvested from sea fennel. The innovative formula stimulates new cell growth, repairs and reverses damage caused by the sun, fights signs of aging and improves skin tone for a radiant, renewed complexion. Your skin stays hydrated and bright all day.

The primer mist instructions say to spray it on your face before makeup application and then to refresh your skin throughout the day. Trust me, it works - without any blurring or running of makeup or oiliness. It's amazing stuff!

There is much more to the Argan Oil story than just a pretty face, glowing skin, and gorgeous hair. Argan Oil not only helps you look and feel great, it also helps women and the environment. Produced exclusively from the nuts of the Argan tree in the semi-desert region of Morocco, the extraction of the Argan Oil is a labor-intensive process that has been perfected by the women native to southwest Morocco. In 2002, the Moroccan government helped establish female cooperatives to manufacture Argan Oil. These programs provide women of rural Morocco with a steady income, a fair wage, good working conditions, as well as literacy and other education classes. Perhaps most importantly, the co-ops give women a keen sense of empowerment in this traditionally male-dominated society. These programs also help protect the Argan forests’ limited supply of trees. The co-ops are dedicated to responsible harvesting practices and reforestation projects, which - along with environmental protection policies - aid in the preservation of the Argan forests and women’s jobs. That makes me feel good.

I ordered the Josie Maran Argan Oil and Argan Oil Primer Mist from Sephora. You can get them from Josie Maran's Web site, where you can also purchase other Argan Oil products.

Want to learn more about Josie Maran, model, actress, and now cosmetics company guru? Just visit her site!

Photos courtesy of Josie Maran

8 comments:

Jules said...

Thanks for the review! I have a sample of this, but I have been hesitant in trying it! Thanks to your review I'll definitely try it now!

Charlestongirl said...

Jules,

You're going to get hooked! At least it's affordable.

Now I want every Josie Maran Argan Oil product made!

Laurie said...

I have really been eyeing up the primer mist. Is it comparable to any other primer? I'm incredibly intrigued now, especially after your glowing (pun intended) review!

Charlestongirl said...

Laurie,

It's not at all like what we call a makeup primer. Rather, it's like a spray hydrator, but more hydrating than the usual floral waters, thermal waters, and the like.

You can use it for a spritz immediately before makeup or anytime after. You can also use it to thin out cream products, like concealer or blush so that they blend with ease. Really versatile!

Laurie said...

Ok - I'm going to give it a try - will let you know how it goes! While I love my hydrating face sprays, I don't find them all that hydrating. And would love to prep my face with this pre-foundation:)

Thanks for the fab review.

Charlestongirl said...

With 15% off at Sephora right now, it's a perfect time to try. I just ordered the stick one.

Thanks, Laurie! Let us know how you like it.

Unknown said...

i like that this argan oil has a dropper- my Melvita argain oil is fabulous but the bottle leaks and i lose precious oil!

Charlestongirl said...

Anna, I bought both, and I like the Josie Maran one better - both because of the dropper and because of the fragrance (or lack). Watch for sales!